Monday, August 2, 2010

One song ends, another begins

Every song has a CODA, a final movement. Whether it fades out or crashes away. Every song ends. Is that any reason not to enjoy the music? The truth is, there is nothing to be afraid of. It's just life.

The quote is from the third season of One Tree Hill, my favorite television show. It always reminds me of the way people say "no regrets," and though it is referring to the end of a loved one's life, it has come to be personal to me in the end of friendships. Living with no regrets is easier said then done but our society is full of actors who have taken role, and sometimes even believe that they have no regrets. Some people have recently drifted from my life and the initial response was to be hurt or saddened by the turn of events, but that has changed. I have embraced the OTH quote. As much as I wish the song would play on repeat forever, I am better for having heard it at all. The song was one of the best in that moment. I won't every forget it, but I won't search for repeat. To that song: I will always be here for you when and if you need me, but I won't sit around waiting for you to play again.

With that said, let's talk mid-year resolutions or as I referred to them at New Year's: changes. I know it can be sort of a joke because nobody really takes New Year's resolutions seriously, but changes can happen at any time. I've come to an age where I realize it is much harder to recover. Whether it be from an injury, illness, or a late night, my body is aging and I have to take better care of it. One major aspect is diet. I will still indulge in my occasional Del Taco and TK Burger, but I must forego the fast food diet that has been so easy to succumb to as of late. I am here, before you, committing myself to a healthier lifestyle. It doesn't end at food. The gym. My relationship with the gym is comparable to that I have with guys. I can see the benefit of being in a relationship, but I can also think of every reason in the book to avoid it. Unfortunately the latter always wins out. But here I am saying I will take care of myself with all of you as my witnesses because now I am accountable to an audience, however small it may be. With diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity in the family, this is one thing I can't afford to waiver on any longer. So there you go: Be healthy. That is my DAILY resolution.

3 comments:

  1. Good resolution! Although I've never been one for gyms...yuck...I'll take a run with Roy and yard work any day over the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh...we have to start P90X soon...NOT looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gym has turned into softball on Mondays and soccer on Saturdays, but I need to find activities for the rest of the week. I like bike rides. And Kyle, that will suck, but it will be rewarding.

    ReplyDelete